You iEmily girls are an active bunch! Most of you are involved in sports either in your school or your community and you love it! The kinds of activities you participate in are pretty diverse, from soccer and swimming to crew and fencing. In addition, the vast majority of you have never taken a drug or supplement to enhance your sports performance and believe your schools should have policies dealing with athletes who do take drugs, if they don't already.
Thanks for expressing your opinions in our school sports survey. See below to find out how you voted on all the questions we asked and come back to iEmily often to take more interesting surveys.
Most of you are involved in some kind of sports:
I am involved in school sports: 59%
I don't play sports in school: 29%
I'm involved with community sports: 12%
Those of you who play sports have fun with many different kinds:
Here's how you voted when asked which statement best describes how sports are viewed at your school:
- Cross-country running
- Field hockey
- Ice hockey
Sports are just as important as other extracurricular activities like student government or band: 43%
Athletes are treated like gods and goddesses: 35%
Our sports teams are more about having fun than winning matches: 14%
My school doesn't have organized sports teams: 4%
Only intramural sports are offered at my school: 4%
These were your #1 reasons for participating in school sports:
It's fun: 42%
I want to stay in shape: 22%
All my best friends are on the team with me: 5%
Athletes are the popular kids at my school: 5%
I want to become a professional sports player: 5%
I'm better at sports than my studies: 5%
It's a family tradition (my mom/dad/sister/brother played the sport before me): 1%
Here are some of the additional reasons why you participate in school sports:
The vast majority of you have never taken a drug or supplement—such as steroids or creatine—to enhance your athletic performance:
- I want to be more active and learn how to play better.
- My parents made me, but then I ended up liking it.
- I am forced to play if it's for gym class or something.
- It's required...blah.
- Friends wanted me to do it.
- I like getting to know other people.
- I love the sport and really enjoy it.
- I want to get in shape.
- I want to lose weight.
- It looks good on a college application, but more importantly I enjoy it.
- It's basically all the reasons listed in the previous question, except the tradition one! I love playing sports!
- It's fun and I wanted to meet new people.
- Sports are my life!
- There are many reasons why—wanting to stay in shape; I am very athletic and my family is very athletic; I am very tall and very strong when I play sports; it is a cool thing at my school because you are considered popular if you are athletic; and it is really fun!
- For exercise
- To become more graceful
- To relieve stress
No, never taken a drug or supplement: 91%
Yes, have tried them: 9%
The majority of your schools do not require drug testing for student athletes:
No drug testing: 67%
Yes, but only when school officials suspect athletes are using drugs: 26%
Yes, it's mandatory: 7%
Many of your school sports program have specific policies regarding athletes' use or abuse of performance-enhancing drugs:
Yes, my school has a policy: 58%
My school has no policy: 42%
Many of you stated that your school deals with athletes on a case-by-case basis if they are caught taking performance-enhancing drugs:
Case-by-case decision: 33%
Kicked off the team but not out of school: 31%
Automatic expulsion or suspension: 29%
Benched for the rest of the season: 7%
You believe that your school should implement a drug policy if they don't have one now: